The "organic" fruits and vegetables are from organic farming: the production is natural , not using no synthetic chemicals such as pesticides, herbicides, artificial fertilizers or growth hormones. Organic fruits and vegetables are the most important largest segment and the most dynamic in the global organic food market (which also includes drinks, biscuits, meat and other condiments).
The increase in demand for organic fruit and vegetables is mainly due to the increase in its production and growing global consumption. However, the supply of organic fruit and vegetables is limited in relation to its request, because of its production cost which remains high. Despite a higher price for organic fruits and vegetables, consumers are willing to pay more for organic food because of several advantages related to their use/production: lower pesticide use and high nutritional value. The sensitization from consumers to consumers at the health benefits of organic products should stimulate sales in the organic fruit and vegetable market.
The organic fruit and vegetable market has been growing steadily for 10 years in France: in 2016, the organic market in France reached a value of more than 278% compared to 2007. In France, the distribution of organic products is very diversified: traditional supermarkets, markets, specialized organic shops, direct sales, craftsmen, commercial and collective catering... so many channels to meet the expectations of consumers who follow organic farming and fair trade. The number of certified distributors has increased considerably in recent years, with a multiplication by more than 20 between 2005 and 2016. Before 2010, nearly 70% of the distribution of organic products was handled by specialised organic stores, while today, distribution has become more democratic towards the GSAs.
The current trend is to buy weekly organic baskets with a multitude of companies offering this service. For example, there are social gardens (Réseau Cocagne), the distribution of baskets by a distribution company (La Vie Claire), or by a wholesaler (Le Campanier). The mass retail sector has understood this phenomenon and the acquisition of Naturalia by Monoprix in 2008 demonstrates this.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 2 business days
Buy a pack and get an immediate discount
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Inclus dans ce pack: This study (The organic fruits and vegetables market - France) + 4 other studies of your choice
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages