The Website Development Market
1.1 Definition and presentation
The market for website development includes services for the creation and improvement of websites. This includes a variety of professions, from web development itself to graphic identity design, improving the user experience in general, or database security. In 2017, the number of websites in the world exceeded 1.4 billion, while the number of e-commerce sites in Europe reached 645,000 according to the Federation of Electronic Commerce and Distance Selling (FEVAD).
Currently, in France, there are two main types of service providers active on the website development market:
- Website hosts, who offer various options ranging from shared hosting (cheap) to so-called "turnkey" hosting, which allow a company to keep control over the content of its website;
- Web agencies, which are part of a communication group or independent. They target customers in all sectors and offer a variety of services tailored to the size and needs of companies. They rely primarily on their expertise in terms of digital communication and marketing.
Despite the poor figures posted by the media sector, the growth in the number of websites continues to accelerate. Particular attention will be paid here to the development of website creation by companies, which is mainly based on the success of e-commerce and the development of the Internet on mobiles.
However, the market is facing threats, such as the democratization (or even trivialisation) of technological competence related to the creation of websites, which is increasingly being observed. Faced with these changes, service providers must develop their expertise in marketing strategy and digital communication. They must also adapt their content to the advent of mobile phones as a web browsing tool.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Analysts & Methods
Customer Reviews (1)
Average over the last 3 months