1.1 Definition and presentation
The fish market covers consumption and distribution of fish or any type of seafood.
Consumption of fish is rising sharply worldwide, with a growth in production on the one hand, followed by increasing consumption - mainly driven by the development of ethnic cuisines and growing awareness of the benefits of fish - but also thanks to other factors such as improved distribution channels. Italy is the first European country where the most fish is eaten.
In Italy, the fish market presents a fairly competitive scenario, with numerous players in the entire supply chain. The situation is complicated by taking into account that Italy is a strong importer of fish, consequently the trend in sales is closely dependent on the trend of imports in the territory, which have seen a sharp decline in 2017 in both volume and value.
Moreover, the value chain appears to be uneven on the production side, while distribution seems to be oriented towards large-scale distribution or local markets. Projections on the evolution of the market are influenced by the growing attention to health and sustainability on the part of the consumer and by the progressive impact of innovation and technology on the supply side.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages