1.1 Market definition
Rum is an alcoholic beverage obtained through the fermentation and distillation of its main ingredient: sugar cane. Sugar cane is a tropical plant whose sucrose is used as a raw material in the food and beverage industry. First records of rum date back to the first half of the XVII century in West Indies, when African slaves discovered molasses – an ingredient generated during the process of sugar refinement- could ferment into alcohol. In no time the popularity of the drink reached North America and not long after that it became one of the most profitable industries of New England. Today rum’s most important ingredient – sugar cane – is the world’s largest crop by production quantity.
Rum can be consumed at home or out of home and as a drink or used in the kitchen. There are different typologies of rum, the three macro categories identifiable are:
- White rum
- Dark rum
- Spicy rum
The global spirits market is dominated by North America and Western Europe. The category of white spirits and rum represents a very large part of the world spirits market. The global rum market is growing and is expected to remain so in the coming years, largely dominated by a few brands with an international dimension.
Similarly to the world market, the French rum market is also dominated by international spirits giants. However, it remains attractive for the arrival of new independent players, such as RhumRhum or A1710. The French market is growing in volume and value. Given the specific nature of French taxation, the production of spirits is concentrated in the French overseas departments and territories. Distribution, on the other hand, is organized mainly in supermarkets.
The white rums segment dominates the market, followed by the amber rums category. In addition, it is the segment of spiced rums, which although representing only a marginal share of the market, is one of the most dynamic.
The rum market can rely on the cocktail trend, which makes it possible to renew both the image of rum and stimulate its demand.
ANALYSIS OF THE OFFER
RULES AND REGULATIONS
POSITIONING OF THE ACTORS
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (30 p.)
- Consult an example PDF or online
Availability within 1 business day
Our other products
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Consultez les conditions du pack et de remboursement des crédits non consommés.
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages