1.1 Market definition
Wallpaper is a material used to cover and decorate the walls or interior partitions of a home or building. It appeared in France in the XVIIᵉ century and then developed strongly in the XVIIIᵉ and then saw its mode of production industrialize in the XIXᵉ century.
There are generally 4 types of wallpaper
- The traditionalwallpaper, printed on a paper support;
- The "non-woven" wallpaper, composed not of paper but of polyester and cellulose fibers ;
- The vinyl wallpaper, covered with a layer of PVC which makes it more resistant;
- Expanded vinyl wallpaper, which is thicker due to the incorporation of swelling inks that give it a raised appearance.
In addition to these widespread products, there are a variety of wallpapers made of original materials, including metallic wallpaper, flocked velvet wallpaper, wallpaper, etc. The innovations made for this product are numerous both in terms of ease of installation and aesthetics or properties of materials used.
The global market should grow by 5.9% per year between 2019 and 2027, thanks in particular to the dynamism of the Asian market.
In France, production is quite limited and a small number of producers share the market. Most of the supply in France is provided by foreign companies. The distribution is carried out mainly through large DIY stores for households or by wholesalers when the latter prefer to use professionals for their work. The trade (in hotels, restaurants) and the service industry are also consumers of wallpaper.
The years 1970-1980 are seen as the golden age of the sector. It was sold in France 100 million rolls of wallpaper per year before the massification of the offer ends up wearying the consumers and that the market begins its decline witha consumption in volume has been falling ever since. This decline led to the closure of several companies such as Abélia in 2005.
However, in recent years, we are witnessing a return of wallpaper as a decorative element. The turnover of French producers seems to be on the rise again and companies are created by offering original and modern designs. If consumer habits have changed, wallpaper is on the way out of its dark years. The turnover index of French wallpaper manufacturers has thus increased by 28.63% between 2018 and 2020.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (30 p.)
- Consult an example PDF or online
Availability within 1 business day
Our other products
Étude de marché locale - France
Commandez une étude sur une zone géographique (ville ou zone géographique) à partir de 400€ HT
- Flux Piéton et Voitures
- Activité réseaux sociaux
- Trafic et analyse web
- Analyse détaillée de l’offre
- Cartographie des acteurs
- Estimation du chiffre d'affaires
Demandez une estimation précise à notre équipe (réponse en 24h)
Étude ad hoc - France
Nos analystes réalisent des études sur-mesure à des prix très compétitifs (à partir de 600€ HT)
- Définition du marché et du ou des pays
- Estimation de la faisabilité de l'étude, du délai et du prix (24h)
- Validation de la commande et paiement en ligne ou par virement
Notre équipe vous recontacte immédiatement (entre 9h et 22h Paris)
Consultez un exemple d'étude ad hoc et des études de cas
Pack 10 études - France
10 crédits valables 1 an qui vous permettent de choisir 10 études parmi nos 650 études en France
Une offre adaptée pour :
- Les consultants et fonds d'investissement
- Les acheteurs et chefs de marché
- Les experts-comptables
Recevrez gratuitement une sélection d'études personnalisées et le meilleur prix selon le nombre d'études choisies.
Consultez nos études de cas : private equity, conseil, acheteurs, commerciaux.
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages
The wallpaper market - France
The study is very detailed and corresponds perfectly to my expectations. The analysis of the players and the different distribution channels allowed me to choose the positioning to adopt.
Thank you Amaury for your opinion on this study.