1.1 Presentation and definition of the truffle market
According to AgriTruffe, a truffle is the name given to something created by an ascomycete ectomycorrhizal fungus with a globular shape . A single fungus can give rise to several truffles, and truffle harvests are largely dependent on weather conditions such as drought.
There are two main categories of truffle on the market:
- The black or Périgord truffle , which can be found in limestone soils under truffle trees 1 to 15cm deep.
- The white truffle, the most prized and expensive variety on the market, can be found mainly in Italy and Croatia.
The French market is facing thecontinuing internationalization of truffleproduction at a time when domestic production is becoming increasingly scarce. Production has been exported to the USA, Australia, Israel, Argentina... All these emerging markets benefit from the seasonal nature of European harvests. Their products are sold for export between two harvest periods in Europe.
The main production regions in France are the south-west, the centre-west and above all the south-east, which accounts for 70% of productionin 3 regions: Drôme, Vaucluse and Alpes de Haute-Provence.
In 2021, France imported the equivalent in value of $US 76.70 million worth of truffles and mushrooms, mainly from Spain, the Netherlands and Poland (nearly 85% of total French imports).
The truffle market is made up of a multitude of small players who are breeders, harvesters and distributors of their products. Truffle sales in France are organized around a large number of markets located in different communes, with varying degrees of recognition for the quality of the products on offer. A number of players are mobilizing to continue modernizing the sector, and are seeking support from the public authorities.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (30 p.)
- Consult an example PDF or online
Availability within 1 business day
Our other products
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages
The truffle market - France
Publicado en 27/01/2021 by Laurent Priad - Nuages
The two studies: THE TRUFFLE MARKET - Spain and France are very synthetic and complete, they are for me perfect to explain the project, because short and intelligible.
Hello Laurent, Thank you for your feedback on our study, we are very happy to contribute to the success of your project. :)