the truffle market
1.1 Definition and presentation
"Truffle" is the vernacular name of mushrooms that can be found in the ground and are round-shaped. The color of a truffle can differ greatly from one species to another, the main ones sold in the United States are
- Tuber melanosporum , also called "the black truffle"
- Tuber aestivum whose nickname is the "black summer truffle"
- Tuber magnatum the "white truffle" or the" trifola d'Alba Madonna"
- Leucangium carthusianum the "Oregon black truffle
Truffles are harvested during summer or winter, depending of the species and harvests often rely on the help of animals such as dogs or pigs, because of their acute sense of smell.
Truffles are often called black or white gold because of their high prices on the markets . They are mainly used in gourmet restaurants for the preparation of elaborate meals and are highly sought after because of their fine and complex taste and rarity
Once characterized as an "European ingredient", truffle production is slowly shifting from the Old World to the New World thanks to a better understanding of their cultivation, better awareness and a renewed interest in North America.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 2 business days
Analysts & Methods
Customer Reviews (1)
Average over the last 3 months