1.1 Introduction and definition of the pet food market
The pet food market includes food for dogs, cats, birds, fish, small reptiles and mammals, excluding farm animals. The pet food market is a segment of the pet market, which also includes the category of pet accessories and pet care and hygiene products.
The pet food market is mainly composed of the dog and cat segments. There are several types of food:
- dry goods (kibbles)
- wet food (swill)
- snacks (e.g. treats)
The pet market is growing in France, and it has been this way for the past 10 years. The segment of products for cats is ahead of that for dogs. The so-called "new pets", such as fish and bird segments are now in slight decline. Small dogs and cats are the most popular, as they are perfectly suited to urban lifestyles and the relatively small spaces available in city dwellings.
The market is driven by a continuous renewal of the type and series of products and an increased demand for healthier and natural food. Owners are increasingly aware of the ecological and welfare issues of their pets.
The market is also showing some dynamism in the high-end and premium segments. Many dry and wet foods or "snacks" promise to treat a wide variety of health problems with recipes that are increasingly innovative and complex, and most often proposed by leading brands.
Growth in the French market was also driven by the rise of online sales, although pet food distribution is largely organized around the specialty stores which do not hesitate to open new points of sale, unlike the mass retail sector and gardening centres, which are showing declining results.
ANALYSIS OF THE DEMAND
ANALYSIS OF THE OFFER
RULES AND REGULATIONS
POSITIONING OF THE ACTORS
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (30 p.)
- Consult an example PDF or online
Availability within 1 business day
Our other products
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Consultez les conditions du pack et de remboursement des crédits non consommés.
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages
The pet food market - France
Publicado en 18/05/2022 by Murielle Céranic - Anifeel