1.1 Definition and scope of study
The pet food category mainly includes food for dogs, cats, birds, fish, small reptiles and mammals. It differs from the pet food market, which includes feeds for animals that are desensitized to farming.
The main segments of the pet food market can be identified by type of food and a distinction is made between :
- Dry goods (Kibbles)
- The wet food (swallowing)
- The snacks (candy, for example)
The world market for pet food is proving to be prosperous and the forecasts for its development and evolution are promising. There is an increasing focus on health and nutrition, which increases the quality and price of the products, while the number of animals kept is gradually increasing and also allows for an increase in volume.
The pet market has grown in Portugal in the last ten years . Dogs and small cats are the most popular, adapting perfectly to urban lifestyles and relatively small spaces offered by housing in major cities. Cats gain space in urban areas because they are adapted to the routine in small apartments, long trips away from home, and low worry because they require little care from their owners compared to other pets.
The market is also showing a certain dynamism in the high-end and premium segments . Many dry and wet foods or "snacks" promise to treat a wide variety of health problems encountered by animals, with increasingly innovative and complex recipes and, in most cases, offered by major brands.
Pet food involves both small players and large multinationals such as Mars or Nestlé. The market is growing at about 6 % per year and dog and cat articles account for more than 80 % market . In 2019, the dog food market (representing 35% of Portuguese households) grew from 1 % against 7 % for the cat segment (39% of households). [ Dinheiro Vivo ]
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (30 p.)
- Consult an example PDF or online
Availability within 10 business days
Our other products
Tailor-made report pack (pt) - Portugal
This 1-year package includes :
- 10 credits per year to carry out your customized reports
- Annual access to 5 reports per month, which you can choose from among our 1,300 studies
A complete range of sector-specific reports, combining standard reports at the best price with studies tailored to your needs.
5 reports pack (-15%) PT - Portugal
- 5 reports at €75.6 excluding VAT per study to choose from our Portuguese catalogue for 12 months
- Save 15% on additional studies purchased
- Choose to be refunded any unused credit at the end of the 12-month period (duration of the pack)
See the terms and conditions of the pack and the refund of unused credit.
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages
The pet food market - France
Publicado en 18/05/2022 by Murielle Céranic - Anifeel