1.1 Definition and scope of study
The meat market refers to markets :
- Red meat (which includes the meat of adult cattle, calves and sheep),
- White meat (which includes pork and poultry)
In line with the increased awareness of a balanced and healthy diet, some types of meat (mainly red meat) continue to suffer from a slowdown in demand. However, this same trend is partly offset by the increased demand for higher quality products as consumers are increasingly willing to pay more for high quality food.
In Portugal, there is still a rather limited niche market for meat substitutes. Despite this, the demand for meat substitutes is growing at a record rate every year, both in current value and in volume. This is supported by the growing number of Portuguese consumers who wish to reduce their meat consumption in response to the country's growing health concerns, in addition to animal welfare and sustainability issues.
Meat sales continue to be dominated by private labels such as Continente, Pingo Doce and Lidl. The Portuguese traditionally value the offerings of popular retailers for their wide range of products at competitive prices. However, private labels continue to lose ground to newer brands as local consumers increasingly seek higher quality products. This segment appears to be the biggest gateway for new players.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages