the footwear market
1.1 Presentation and definition of the footwear market
The primary function of a shoe is to provide protection for the foot. Nevertheless, the shoe is also a fashion accessory, responding to a logic of renewal other than the simple functional use. The footwear market concerns all types of shoes, those worn on a daily basis and those used for a specific occasions.
A distinction is made between several categories of shoes, according to the French Footwear Federation :
- City and leisure shoes
- Sports shoes
- Indoor shoes
- Work and safety shoes
However, the borders are narrowing, especially between sports shoes and street shoes due to the advent of sneakers as everyday shoes.
The French market is very competitive, with major brands that benefit from a brand image with the public but also exclusive distributors of foreign brands or pure internet players with a very large online stock.
In 2018, the sector continues to be strongly influenced by the growth of fully digital societies such as Zalando or Sarenza, which have significantly changed consumer expectations of services.
The sector must adapt to the digitalization of the market. This has prompted major players to invest massively in online tools. Currently, the historical players have to face pure-players in order to gain recurrence in this growing segment.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
Analysts & Methods
Customer Reviews (1)
Average over the last 3 months