1.1 Market definition and presentation
A purse is a fashion accessory for storing everyday objects (wallet, keys...). It is a mass market product, mainly intended for women. However, some models are offered to men, generally in the form of bags
Handbags are distinguished by, among other things
- Their range and their brand : luxury, high-end, mid-range, entry-level
- Their shape and size : tote bag, pocket, shoulder bag, bucket bag etc.
- Their subject : leather, synthetic, textile, recycled material etc.
The world marketplace of the handbags was estimated at 47 billion in 2018 and was projected to grow at a CAGR (combined annual growth rate) of 5.4% between 2019 and 2025 to reach $67.9 billion in 2025. While this figure is overestimated because it does not take into account the effect of the Covid-19 epidemic, it is indicative of the strong growth of the sector.
The France is the europe's second largest producer of handbags, after Italy, which alone accounts for almost 70% of European production. The turnover of the French handbag market has almost doubled in 5 years and this growth has accelerated from 2017. The export dynamism and the The positive image of French leather goods are the main factors behind this boom. The market is thus particularly dependent on its foreign customers.
In addition, new growth drivers are emerging, in particular the digitalization of the sector, the development of the second hand and the growing consumer focus on the eco-responsibility of the products they buy.
While the Covid-19 outbreak led to a drop in sales during containment, the structural growth of the market therefore appears to be solid. The main French specialist players in the market include Longchamp, Lancaster, Le Tanneur and La Bagagerie. In addition to these, there are foreign specialist players, notably Italian ones such as Gucci and Tuscany Leather. Ready-to-wear, accessories and shoe retailers also often offer handbags.
All of these players are often manufacturers who directly distribute their products. However, handbags are also distributed in department stores, such as Les Galeries Lafayette, supermarkets and hypermarkets, and on the Internet, by pure-players, such as Asos or Zalando, or mail order companies, such as La Redoute.
ANALYSIS OF THE OFFER
POSITIONING OF THE PLAYERS
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (30 p.)
- Consult an example PDF or online
Availability within 1 business day
Our other products
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Consultez les conditions du pack et de remboursement des crédits non consommés.
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages
The handbag market - France
Publicado en 23/04/2022 by Deborah Balzan - BALZAN Déborah Fleur
The study contains a lot of very interesting information.
The handbag market - France
Publicado en 04/05/2021 by Malcolm Vincent
Very complete and quantified study in particular on the new trends driven by the concern to preserve the environment, to produce ethically and to develop the second-hand market.
Hello Malcolm, Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that the study lived up to your expectations. We hope you will give us a 5/5 next time ;)