1.1 Definition and scope of study
Located at the crossroads of public and private issues, the tobacco market is a very specific, highly regulated and monitored market, but which nevertheless affects all segments of the world and French population
The scope of this study will include the production, distribution and sale of tobacco and its by-products, such as cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, rolling tobacco, chewing tobacco and snuff. It will also discuss new forms of consumption that have appeared on the market, such as the electronic cigarette.
While there were 16 million smokers in France, 70% of them after 2010, they are now only 13 million in 2018 . The government has also set a new target for reducing smoking in France: to reduce smokers aged 15 to 75 at the end of the Macron five-year period from 26.9% to less than 22%. The tobacco market is therefore in the decrease in France, first influenced by the increase in cigarette prices, which has led to a decline in cigarette sales over the past 20 years. The market is also in difficulty due to the growth in sales of medical patches and to electronic cigarettes .
The tobacco market is dominated by some leaders such as Philip Morris International (which owns the Malboro and Philip Morris brands), Seita (which owns Fortuna, Gauloises, Gitanes), Altadis Imperial Tobacco, Japan Tobacco International and British American Tobacco. There are also about forty tobacco distributors in France, the main one being Logista France. Finally, the retail sale of tobacco products is regulated by the Customs administration.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
Buy a pack and get an immediate discount
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Inclus dans ce pack: This study (The tobacco market - France) + 4 other studies of your choice
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages