1.1 Definition and scope of the study
A medical device ("MD", also referred to as medical equipment) is deinfed as "An instrument, apparatus, equipment or software intended by its manufacturer to be used in humans for the diagnosis, prevention, control, treatment, mitigation of disease, injury, or other purposes". [ANSM]
MDs are a heterogeneous, meaning a wide range of products are included under the scope of this product category. Indeed, in France there are between 800,000 and 2,000,000 product references according to HAS Health. Broadly speaking, medical devices can be segmented in the following manner, based on their usage [Financière d'Uzès ] :
- Medical Devices for individual use (hospital equipment, anaesthetic and respiratory devices, etc.) ;
- Equipment (non-active implants, dental material, etc.) ;
- In vitro diagnostics (pregnancy tests, glucometers, etc.) ;
- E-Health (Monitoring of physiological parameters at home in real time).
The market for medical devices is heavily impacted by European and French regulation, which, going forward, will also contribute to a suppression of growth as compliance will continue to be a large cost for companies in the sector.
Nevertheless, the market in France is growing amid an ageing population and longer life expectancies, and is expected to continue doing so going forward. The market is highly fragmented, with a large amount of players included in this industry. M&A activity remains important to thrive in the sector and overcome cost barriers.
Finally, we dedicate a section of analysis with regards to COVID-19. Although it is still early to draw inferences and look at how the industry as a whole has been impacted, it is possible to quantify certain effects in light of the global pandemic.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 1 business day
Buy a pack and get an immediate discount
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Inclus dans ce pack: This study (The medical equipment market - France) + 4 other studies of your choice
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages