1.1 Definition and scope of study
Sushi is a Japanese dish based on cooked rice combined with other ingredients, among the most used raw fish or vegetables.
Today, the term identifies an entire culinary tradition that has expanded throughout the world, but originally dates back to about 2000 years ago. Rice was in fact used in Japan as a method of preserving fish, which was placed between layers of the grain and it was originally not eaten, but over time it became part of the dish.
There are several types of sushi :
- Maki : sushi in the shape of a roll wrapped in algae
- Temakis : preparation is similar to maki but is has a cone shape
- Nigiris : Raw slice of fish in an oval sphere of rice
Sushi is served mainly in restaurants, but with the growing popularity of this dish around the world, it is increasingly distributed in supermarkets as well as on delivery.
The global market is expanding rapidly, driven by the dynamism of Japanese restaurants in all regions of the world, led by Asia and North America.
The Japanese cuisine arrived in Brazil brought by the oriental immigrants who came to work in the country's coffee plantations in the 20th century. For many, many years the cuisine of Japan was considered exotic and difficult to access. Today, the Japanese food industry is already traditional among Brazilians, accounting for 6.8% of the food market, growing strongly in the franchising universe with about 11,500 Asian food restaurants operating in Brazil, 3,000 in Greater São Paulo alone. [Brazilian Franchising Association]
After temaki and later ramen mania, the largest sushi restaurant chains in the country have invested heavily in products that meet the new needs of their customers. Today, many menus already offer the option of the customer to replace the traditional shari (white rice) with brown rice, or temaki made with cereal flakes instead of rice. These changes aim to make the meal less caloric and with a different flavor.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Recent reviews ★★★★☆
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages