Content of the study

Available languages

MARKET OVERVIEW

1.1 Definition and scope of study

Private parking facilities are used for the non-commercial use of parking space for automotive vehicles. Payed parking places can be considered as ‘public’ if they are regulated by municipalities. Private parking facilities are often large surfaced multi-storey buildings and can be used for short term parking or long term storage of vehicles.

 In 2018 Europe counted a little less than 500 million parking spaces, of which less than 15 million were private. It is estimated that in Italy there are over 400,000 private parking spaces. There is great interest in the future of Italian car parks. Domestic and foreign investors are looking carefully at a profitable business that is destined to grow in volume (due to the pedestrianisation of historic town centres and creation of cyclable paths).

Italy faces a shortage of parking spaces with the availability of off-streek parking counting only 2.3% of total. Meanwhile Italy has one of the highest rates of new car registration (+19.5% in 2018).

Four foreign companies dominate the Italian car park market, followed by a sleuth of smaller companies and individual car parks.

  • APCOA Parking, a German group, has 83.000 parking places in Italy (140 car parks)
  • Saba, a Spanish filial, has 21.000 places
  • The austrian Breitneider family, which heads Best in Parking, has 12.500 parking places (exclusively in the south of the Peninsula)
  • Interparking, a Belgian investment fund, has 10.000 parking places

An Italian company rounds off the top 5, fiSolo (part of the Arpinge group) has over 7.000 parking spots throughout the country.

Municipal street parking accounts for over 60% of parking spots in Italy. The remaining 40% is split between free public parking places, commercial parking, informal parking and private parking.

It is calculated that the average private parking spot in Italy (in a car park) costs €18.000 to construct, from scratch (varies based on location, excavation terrain, municipal/regional regulations). Technical and maintenance expenses increase this cost to €20.000. The national average hourly rate is calculated at €1.30.

The two trends that make this a potentially successful market are the increasing pedestrianisation or urban centres as well as the constant high purchase rates of automobiles in Italy.

DEMAND ANALYSIS

MARKET STRUCTURE

ANALYSIS OF THE OFFER

REGULATION

POSITIONING OF THE PLAYERS

To keep reading, buy the full research

What is in this market study?

  • What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
  • What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
  • What are the latest trends in this market?
  • What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
  • How do companies in the market differ from each other?
  • Access company mapping and profiles.
  • Data from several dozen databases

  • This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
  • Download an example
  • Recent reviews ★★★★☆ 
Buy this market study 89€

Availability within 5 business days

Method

Data
Analysts 1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages
Method
Control

Analysts

  • Top Universities
  • Expert opinion

Data

  • Databases
  • Press
  • Company reports

Control

  • Continuously updated
  • Permanent watch

Method

  • Synthetic structure
  • Standardized charts

Analysts

Hugo S.

chargé d'études économiques, Xerfi

Hugo S.

Hugo S. logo 1 Hugo S. logo 2
Mathieu Luinaud

Associate Consultant

Mathieu Luinaud

Mathieu Luinaud logo 1 Mathieu Luinaud logo 2
Education Formation
Robin C.

PhD Industrial transformations

Robin C.

Robin C. logo 1 Robin C. logo 2
Pierre D.

Analyst

Pierre D.

Pierre D. logo 1 Pierre D. logo 2

Ross Alumni Club France

Arnaud W.

Arnaud W. logo 1 Arnaud W. logo 2

Analyste de marché chez Businesscoot

Amaury de Balincourt

Amaury de Balincourt logo 1 Amaury de Balincourt logo 2
Pierrick C.

Consultant

Pierrick C.

Pierrick C. logo 1 Pierrick C. logo 2
Maelle V.

Project Finance Analyst, Consulting

Maelle V.

Héloise Fruchard

Etudiante en Double-Diplôme Ingénieur-Manager Centrale

Héloise Fruchard

Héloise Fruchard logo 1 Héloise Fruchard logo 2
Imane E.

EDHEC

Imane E.

Imane E. logo 1 Imane E. logo 2
Vincent D.

Auditeur

Vincent D.

Vincent D. logo 1 Vincent D. logo 2
Eva-Garance T.

Eva-Garance T.

Eva-Garance T. logo 1 Eva-Garance T. logo 2
Michela G.

Market Research Analyst

Michela G.

Michela G. logo 1 Michela G. logo 2
Azelie P.

Market Research Analyst @Businesscoot

Azelie P.

Azelie P. logo 1 Azelie P. logo 2
Cantiane G.

Market Research Analyst @Businesscoot

Cantiane G.

Cantiane G. logo 1 Cantiane G. logo 2
Jules D.

Consultant

Jules D.

Jules D. logo 1 Jules D. logo 2
Alexia V.

Alexia V.

Emil Ohlsson

Emil Ohlsson

Anna O.

Anna O.

Gabriel S.

Gabriel S.