The market for eggs in France can be segmented according to its origin: even if the majority of egg production comes from the hen , other types of eggs are consumed, such as eggs of quail , from duck , goose or ostrich but also the eggs of fishes which are less widespread. Segmentation can also be performed between the production of traditional eggs and the organic egg production in France.
France is the world's europe's leading producer of eggs . It's a pretty good deal bird whose prices are highly dependent on changes in supply and production. In historical terms, after facing a surge in egg prices in 2011, France experienced an overproduction crisis in 2013, with egg production volumes 20% higher than in 2012. As a result, prices collapsed in the spring of 2013. At the same time, egg production costs are high due to the increase in feed prices and the high depreciation costs for new farms.
The European Commission estimates that more than 110 billion units european egg production, which has been growing continuously for several years. The France produces more than 15% of the total European production, thus placing it at the level of european leader in front of Germany and Italy. France also has more than 50 million laying hens divided into 4 breeding methods : equipped cages, outdoor, organic and ground-based. French egg consumption is higher than the European average: 230 eggs per inhabitant per year in France, compared to 203 in Europe.
The French egg market is currently driven by the organic sector whose sales have grown steadily each year. Outdoor and organic chicken farming are the two most rapidly growing farming methods, with growth of 8% and 4% respectively in 2016. The sale of organic eggs in supermarkets has also experienced strong growth in recent years and Label Rouge eggs are becoming the leader in this segment. From now on, more than 30% of French egg production is of organic origin.
Overall egg production is also expected to remain at a high level, thanks to to the market-leading giants such as groups APRIL , D'AUCY , THE GOUESSANT AND PAMPR' EGG . However, prices are still being driven down: market regulation measures are therefore required according to the French Poultry Confederation (Cfa).
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 2 business days
Buy a pack and get an immediate discount
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Inclus dans ce pack: This study (The egg market - France) + 4 other studies of your choice
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages