the Parapharmacy market
1.1 Presentation and market definition
The parapharmacy market refers to all of the following sales of care and hygiene products, but also beauty, dietetics and food supplements, not requiring a medical prescription. The sale of these products is not necessarily carried out by traditional pharmacies and can be sold in any supermarket or medium-size store employing a qualified pharmacist, as defined in Ooreka .
Indeed, the parapharmacy market has evolved considerably since its inception appearance in the 80s . The consumption of parapharmaceutical products has become more democratic by opening up to all modes of distribution:
- The pharmacies Historical players, they continue to capture 75% of the market. To maintain their hegemony, they develop their own brands at competitive prices.
- The specialty brands (Parashop): fashionable in the 1990s, they are threatened by the offensive of mass distribution and by insufficient investment capacity.
- The parapharmacies of GSA (Corte Ingles): their weight has increased significantly in recent years. They anticipate an exit from the pharmacopoeial monopoly of OTC (over-the-counter drugs)
- The online sale Increasing: it is benefiting from the recent success of Internet sales.
- The mass retailing which is investing massively in the sector
This development was accompanied by a extension of the offer towards new territories of beauty and health such as food supplements
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 2 business days
Analysts & Methods
Customer Reviews (1)
Average over the last 3 months