1.1 Definition and scope of study
Essential oils are defined as complex mixtures of natural, volatile chemical substances contained in all or part of an aromatic plant. Traditionally, these essential oils are extracted by hydro-distillation or cold pressing. These two processes are long and require a certain expertise. The plants and flowers used for the production of essential oils are numerous, but we can note as examples lavender, rosewood, eucalyptus, ylang-ylang, chamomile, tea tree, geranium, citrus fruits, mint and patchouli...etc. The main end markets for the manufacture of essential oils are food, perfumes, cosmetics, aromatherapy, cleaning products and pharmaceuticals.
There are several types of players on the market: that will be used for the production of essential oils).
- Producers of essential oils who distill or cold press flowers and plants. They can vary in size, from craftsmen to large industrial groups;
- Companies that consume essential oils, in various industries (cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, food processing);
- Regulatory and control firms that check the quality and harmfulness of the oils and certify them.
The world market for essential oils is booming, driven in particular by the dynamism of Western markets, the aromatherapy or the manufacture of cosmetic products. The world market for essential oils could thus grow by 10% per year until 2025.
Spain is one of the main European producers of essential oils and is strengthening year after year its commercial power in the sector: thus, in 2018, Spanish exports of essential oils increased by +8.4%. This commercial power is nevertheless fragile, as it is based on a few flagship essences such as grapefruit, lemon or orange. [Premium Beauty News]
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Recent reviews ★★★★☆
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages