1.1 Definition and scope of study
The European market for flowers and ornamental plants accounts for a large part of the world consumption: the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and Denmark are the largest consumers at European level. In the floriculture market, the cut flower segment is predominant, followed by the plant segment.
Emerging countries are playing an increasingly important role in the production of cut flowers due to favorable weather conditions, aggressive pricing policies and progress in terms of transportation (particularly by sea). Moreover, the geographical expansion of production and the development of logistics solution (long-distance transport capacities), are the main factors driving the cut flower market.
There are different categories of players in the flower market, depending on their position in the value chain:
- the horticulturist or the wholesaler who cuts the flowers and then sells them to the various networks of sales outlets that distribute them to the end customer (private individuals or professionals)
- the networks of specialized stores;
- independent flower shops;
- mass retailers.
Although flowers do not play a major role in horticultural activities in Spain, their production and export has increased significantly over the last 10 to 15 years. The main producing regions are Andalusia (more than 50% of national production), the Canary Islands, Catalonia, Murcia and Valencia. The area dedicated to the cultivation of ornamental plants and flowers reaches about 4,500 ha. [FEPEX]
The sector is strongly disrupted by the emergence of new distribution methods such as subscriptions (for a monthly delivery for example) and faces new challenges brought by an increasing digitalization.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Recent reviews ★★★★☆
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages