1.1 Definition and scope of study
The esthetic medicine and plastic surgery market comprises several distinct segments:
- Plastic surgery, a technique for reshaping the body by means of surgical interventions to correct a morphological abnormality or the external appearance of a patient's body;
- Esthetic medicine, which represents all non-surgical advice, care and treatment aimed at improving a patient's aesthetic appearance;
- Cosmeceuticals, products located halfway between cosmetics and drugs, which contain active ingredients for a particular dermatological treatment (wrinkles, dark circles, etc.).
Plastic surgery therefore exclusively includes surgical treatments on the patient's body, such as breast surgery, the most popular procedure. Esthetic medicine, on the other hand, can be practiced by general practitioners or specialists. The vast majority of cosmetic medicine procedures involve injections under the skin, for example to reduce wrinkles. Cosmeceuticals are most frequently used to correct skin aging, although their effectiveness has yet to be proven.
The world market for plastic surgery and esthetic medicine is growing rapidly, driven specifically by the dynamism of the Asian region, which is currently the main focus of global demand. However, the market remains largely dominated by the United States and Brazil. This growth can be explained in part by the boom in injectable substances, but also by the renewal of the equipment and technologies required for operations and treatments.
Spain is a country of reference for health and beauty tourism, generating a strong external demand. But this demand is equally strong at the national level, as a growing proportion of the population is using aesthetic medicine treatments: in 2020, 35.9% of the population used these procedures, an increase of +5.4 points in two years. This broadening of the consumer base for aesthetic medicine shows very promising prospects for the future of this market in Spain. [SEME]
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Recent reviews ★★★★☆
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages