1.1 Market definition and presentation
The market for medicine and cosmetic surgery includes several distinct segments:
- Aesthetic surgery - a branch of plastic surgery - is a technique for remodeling the body through targeted surgery to eliminate a morphological anomaly or the external appearance of the patient's body;
- Aesthetic medicine, on the other hand, is a less invasive technique aimed at correcting physical defects of the patient.
Cosmetic surgery therefore concerns specific operations on patients' bodies, such as breast surgery, the most popular procedure. Aesthetic medicine, on the other hand, can be practiced by general practitioners or specialists. The vast majority of aesthetic medicine procedures involve injections under the skin, to reduce wrinkles for example.
The global market for cosmetic surgery and medicine displays robust growth. This is driven by the dynamics of the Asian regions, which are currently the primary source of global growth. However, the market remains largely dominated by the United States and Brazil, with large players such as Allergan plc, Alma Lasers, Anika Therapeutics, Inc. and Merz Aesthetics, Inc
In Brazil, perspectives look promising. According to the data recently released by the Brazilian Association of the Personal Hygiene, Perfumery and Cosmetics Industry (ABIHPEC), since 2014 the number of professionals working in this sector has grown by 567%, from 72,000 to more than 480,000. According to the same association, in 2019 alone, the sector moved more than R$47.5 billion, and the growth forecast for 2020 is above 14%. This progress is due to higher living standards of the population, combined with higher concerns about physical appearance.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Recent reviews ★★★★☆
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages