1.1 Presentation and definition of the market
The market for aesthetic medicine and cosmetic surgery includes several distinct segments:
- The cosmetic surgery is the technique of remodelling the body through surgical procedures to correct a morphological abnormality or the external appearance of a patient's body;
- The aesthetic medicine represents all advice, care and non-surgical treatment designed to improve the aesthetic appearance of a patient;
- The cosmeceutical products are located halfway between cosmetics and drugs; they contain active ingredients used for a particular dermatological treatment (wrinkles, dark circles, etc.).
Cosmetic surgery therefore concerns operations that are realized on the patients' bodies, such as breast surgery, which stands as the most popular procedure. Aesthetic medicine, on the other hand, can be practiced by general practitioners or specialists. The vast majority of aesthetic medicine procedures involve injections under the skin, for example to reduce wrinkles. Cosmeceuticals are most frequently used to correct skin ageing, although their effectiveness has yet to be proven.
The global market for cosmetic surgery and medicine is fully growing. This growth is particularly driven by the dynamism of the Asian regions, which are currently the main focus of the world demand. However, the market remains largely dominated by the United States and Brazil. For these countries, the largest players include Allergan plc, Alma Lasers, Anika Therapeutics, Inc. and Merz Aesthetics, Inc.
In Portugal, the market is expected to grow at around 9% in 2020, and the most common procedures requested by the Portuguese are the lip augmentation and the liposuction. [Deco Proteste] In this country, the idea of aesthetic medicine is becoming more popular as many Portuguese celebrities have started looking for this solution to correct imperfections or to mitigate the inevitable signs of age. The aging process of the population is another factor for the increasing demand for this kind of treatments.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Recent reviews ★★★★☆
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages