1.1 Definition and scope of study
The organic cosmetics market represents a sub-segment of the larger cosmetics market. A cosmetic includes any substance used to clean, hydrate or alter a person's skin, hair, nails or teeth.
There are two types of cosmetics :
- Beauty products : make-up, perfume, skin cream, etc.
- Care products : shampoo, soap, deodorant, etc.
These products are certified by private labels (and not with the European label which only applies to food products) who ensure that these products meet various criteria. For example, that they only use ingredients of plant origin from organic farming and therefore do not use chemicals or ingredients of animal origin.
Regarding the cosmetics and personal care products market, Brazil is the third largest in the world. The forecast is that it will reach the second position by the end of 2020, surpassing Japan and falling only behind the United States. The biological sub-segment accounts for 18.2% of total cosmetics market revenues, according to a Nielsen Brazil survey. The same survey, which monitors purchases from thousands of homes in Brazil, stated that for 32 percent of Brazilians, sustainable consumption is a priority. The multinational giants already have their eye on the power of the green market. However, to exploit it, special certification from the Biodynamic Institute Certification Association (IBD) is needed, which requires a series of requirements, including the use of organic products throughout the production chain. The biggest national brands to bet in this segment are Natura (the biggest cosmetic company in Latin America and the only one in the sector to neutralize carbon emissions) and Grupo Boticário. But other players are also increasing the competition, such as Korres Natural Products, L'Oréal (The Body Shop) and Johnson & Johnson.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages