1.1 Definition and scope of study
The parapharmacy market refers to all sales of care and hygiene products (for adults and babies), as well as beauty products, dietetics and food supplements, which do not require a prescription. It is also necessary to include small appliances such as nail files or electric toothbrushes.
The parapharmacy market in Portugal has evolved considerably since its creation in the 1980s. The consumption of parapharmaceuticals has been democratised by opening up to all types of distribution:
- The pharmacies Historic players, continue to capture 75% of the market. To maintain their hegemony, they are developing their own brands at competitive prices.
- Specialty brands (Parashop) In the fashionable 1990s, they were threatened by the offensive of mass distribution and by insufficient investment capacity.
- GSA parapharmacies (Corte Ingles): their weight has increased significantly in recent years. They anticipate an exit from the monopoly of over-the-counter (OTC) drugs
- Online sales are increasing and are taking advantage of the recent success of Internet sales.
- Mass distribution which invests heavily in the sector
In Portugal, consumers are beginning to focus on health prevention rather than treating them after they appear. This change of mentality increases the demand for parapharmaceutical products to the detriment of medicines. This type of commercial channel is developing rapidly and is exploited by the parapharmacies that offer products with this objective in mind.
In addition to enjoying comparative pricing advantages, these players benefit from their expertise in other fields and invest their resources in aggressive marketing. There is no doubt that these chains have been able to adapt to the Portuguese people's pricing concerns. Today, parapharmacies already account for a significant share of total sales of dermocosmetic products.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (30 p.)
- Consult an example PDF or online
Availability within 10 business days
Our other products
Tailor-made report pack (pt) - Portugal
This 1-year package includes :
- 10 credits per year to carry out your customized reports
- Annual access to 5 reports per month, which you can choose from among our 1,300 studies
A complete range of sector-specific reports, combining standard reports at the best price with studies tailored to your needs.
5 reports pack (-15%) PT - Portugal
- 5 reports at €75.6 excluding VAT per study to choose from our Portuguese catalogue for 12 months
- Save 15% on additional studies purchased
- Choose to be refunded any unused credit at the end of the 12-month period (duration of the pack)
See the terms and conditions of the pack and the refund of unused credit.
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages
The parapharmacy market - Italy
Publicado en 16/12/2021 by Dott. Lipani
The study met my requirements; the data proposed are always accompanied by the sources. I would have preferred a greater territorial depth of the market.
Thank you for your feedback.
The Parapharmacy Market - France
Publicado en 07/01/2022 by Client anonyme - Ce client a souhaité rester anonyme
Clear and concise generic study. Well documented. However, I would have liked to see that the actors' files at the end of the report corresponded precisely to those stated in the report.
Hello, Thank you for your feedback on our study. We are planning to update it taking into account your remarks, we will keep you informed as soon as it is available.