L' palm oil is a vegetable oil extracted by hot pressing of the pulp of the fruits of the oil palm tree. Palm oil is mainly (80%) used for human consumption (margarine, vegetable fat, etc.), then in the oleochemistry (soaps, detergents...) and increasingly in the field of bio-energy.
The exceptional versatility of palm oil, with its prolific yield and countless attributes, is what makes it popular among farmers, consumers and industries... It is estimated that demand for palm oil is expected to have doubled in 2020 compared to 2010.
Today, less than 1% of the world's palm oil production is used as biofuel. Palm oil is nowadays the most consumed oil in the world (25%) ahead of soybean oil (24%), rapeseed oil (12%) and sunflower oil (7%), thanks in particular to the fact that palm oil is the most important oil in the world cheaper on the market. This low price is explained by the exceptional yield of oil palm which provides about 4 tons per hectare, 10 times more than soybeans. On both the supply and demand side, the palm oil market is dominated by Asia. The only exception is Europe, which remains a net importer of oilseeds. In France, 2 kilos are consumed per year per person and it is present in 90% of spreads and 60% of chocolate biscuits.
Today, more than 60 million tonnes of palm oil are produced annually worldwide and Malaysia and Indonesia account for 90% of world production and 89% of world exports. The rest of the world's palm oil is produced in other humid tropical countries such as Cameroon, Nigeria, Colombia and Papua New Guinea, often by companies with significant investments from Malaysia. By 2020, palm oil production from South East Asia is even expected to have increased by 60% compared to 2010.
The palm oil market in the world is dominated by a few multinationals in the agri-food and raw materials trade. The actors of the palm oil market in the world rely on the sustainable development and the traceability of production to avoid the negative image of this edible oil following several awareness campaigns conducted by NGOs, the palm oil is now accused of being harmful to health and to promote a deforestation in producing countries, which should eventually ban its consumption in developed countries.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 2 business days
Buy a pack and get an immediate discount
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Inclus dans ce pack: This study (The palm oil market - France) + 4 other studies of your choice
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages