1.1 Definition and scope of the study
A festival is an event organised with the aim of gathering people for one or more days in a festive environment and around an activity related to art, entertainment or leisure. It is part of the more general sector of cultural events.
There are traditionally 4 types of festivals:
- The artistic festival which is focused on a particular art (music, cinema, plastic arts, theatre, dance)
- The polycultural festival that includes the different arts in its programming
- The heritage festival that pays tribute to traditional local cultural forms
- The agro-cultural festival
Many festivals, however, focus on a theme that is not directly related to these types of content, such as the wood festival or the travel festival for example.
The market players are divided between: suppliers including artists, festival-goers and organisers who are mainly associations.
The 2020 Covid-19 pandemic, which was accompanied by a sudden ban on festivals, has however paralysed the entire market and thus called into question this dynamism both globally and nationally since March 2020. Digital emerged as an alternative and a new form of festival, online, is developing. However, the global festival market is experiencing a growing boom, based in particular on the success of music festivals, which has been growing steadily since the 1950s.
The French market is in line with the global trend, recording a 26% increase in the number of festival-goers between 2016 and 2019 for the 100 biggest festivals. More than 12% of French people went to festivals in 2019. [touslesfestivals]
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
Buy a pack and get an immediate discount
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Inclus dans ce pack: This study (The festival market - France) + 4 other studies of your choice
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages