1.1 Definition and scope of study
The term ceramics refers to a product made of argillous, inorganic and non-metallic material, which is made rigid through a process of cooking at high temperatures, and which takes its name from the material from which it is made. There are different types of ceramics:
- compact paste ceramics: They have a low porosity, good impermeability and are very resistant. Examples of this are stoneware and porcelain.
- Porous paste ceramics: They have a soft, absorbent paste that is more easily scratched. Examples are terracotta, majolica and terracotta.
Ceramics are used in various industries, such as the building, manufacturing and medical industries. In addition, various products can be made of ceramics, such as sanitary ware, abrasives, bricks and pipes, tiles and ceramics.
The global ceramic market is growing, especially thanks to the numerous innovations from operators in the sector. The United States is a major consumer of ceramics, while the Asia-Pacific region is the fastest growing region, mainly due to the presence of market players in the region.
In Italy, this market is registered with two Ateco codes, based on composition and destination:
- Ateco 23.3: manufacture of terracotta building materials
- Ateco 23.4: manufacture of other porcelain and ceramic products
It is interesting to note that the market for terracotta building materials grew by 10.9% from 2013 to 2018, while the market for porcelain and ceramic products fell by 5.2% in the same period.
The Italian market is very fragmented, with more than 3,140 companies that operate in the sector. In addition, most of these companies are small to medium sized companies specialising in one type of ceramic or product type, offered to a limited portion of consumers.
In recent years, the Italian ceramics market has witnessed the progress of 3D printing technology and the advent of numerous innovations, although lagging behind other European countries and the United States. These innovations could drive market expansion and create new areas of application for ceramics.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (30 p.)
- Consult an example PDF or online
Availability within 1 business day
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages
The stationary toilet market - France
Publicado en 12/01/2022 by Client anonyme - Ce client a souhaité rester anonyme
A highly quantified study. Despite the investments made by local authorities, the mistrust of public toilets is confirmed. The smart toilet market has not yet taken off.
Hello Geoffroy, Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted that this study has given you a good overview of the market.
The public lighting market - France
Publicado en 27/10/2021 by Stéphane Naville - AXIONE SAS
Good level of synthesis allowing to go to the essential of a market (supply, demand, actors) quickly!
Hello Stephane, Thank you for your feedback, we are very happy if our study could save you a precious time. :)
The veneers and wood panels market - France
Publicado en 08/09/2020 by Client Anonyme - Ce client a souhaité rester anonyme
A synthetic and easy to read study, usable for us.
Hello, Thank you for your feedback.