1.1 Presentation of the railway industry market
The railway industry refers to all economic activities related to production, sales and maintenance of transport vehicles on railways, whether it is passenger transport or freight transport, sometimes referred to as "freight transportation".
The global rail market is growing and is expected to remain so in the coming years. The production of railway technologies takes an important place in the share of turnover in this market.
The French passenger and freight transport market is following the global market growth trend in which it plays an important role.
France is also one of the largest European countries behind Germany, in terms of railroad transportation, regarding the number of kilometres travelled by the various passengers. The same applies to the number of railways built, the French and German network dominate the European market.
The production of railway technologies is divided as follows: the manufacture of rolling stock followed by signalling equipment, infrastructure works and other miscellaneous equipment. We also note the importance of train digitisation (for people) and investments made to improve the consumer experience.
The rail passenger transport market is directly linked to public fundings. This is contrasting with the freight sector, which is composed of many private players. Although appreciated for its lower ecological footprint, rail transport faces strong competition and aggressive pricing policies on the market of the air and bus transport but also from the water transport for goods. The forthcoming liberalisation of the sector is expected to disrupt the market with the arrival of new players. The SNCF focuses in particular on the renewal of its offer.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 3 business days
Buy a pack and get an immediate discount
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Inclus dans ce pack: This study (The Rail transport Market - France) + 4 other studies of your choice
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages