Steel is a metal alloy manufactured from iron ore and coal ore (with a carbon mass percentage ranging from 0.03% to 2%). [Futura Sciences] Other categories of iron-based alloys that differ from steel are cast iron (carbon supersaturated) and ferroalloys.
Steel differs from other metal alloys in its good performance in fundamental mechanical properties:
- resistance to elastic deformation which depends on its carbon content (the less carbon it has, the more deformable it is).
- breaking strength
- resistance to irreversible deformation
- impact resistance
Nevertheless, we can distinguish 3 classes of steels according to their chemical composition: unalloyed steels whose contents in several components are fixed by a European standard, stainless steels which are constrained in carbon and chromium level, and finally other steels which are neither oxidized nor alloyed (which the European standard EN10027 redivides into 2 classes).
According to Economie magazine, the steel market is global, with production of 1.7 million tonnes in 2018. China has a dominant position, unlike Europe and France, which are losing ground.
This is a sector in constant technological improvement, involving a high level of investment in R&D
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
Buy a pack and get an immediate discount
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Inclus dans ce pack: This study (The steel market - France) + 4 other studies of your choice
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages