1.1 Definition and scope of study
Broadcasting (abbreviated to radio) refers to the emission of signals via electromagnetic waves that are received directly by the public. Several types of radio can be distinguished in France :
- Public service radio stations These are attached to three groups, Radio France, Radio France Internationale and France Télévisions;
- Private radio stations (associative or commercial).
Radio stations with a wide variety of content and audience share coexist in France, with generalist, thematic, local, community and international radio stations sharing the market.
RTL and France Inter remain the most listened to radio stations in France with a stable market share, while Radio France is the leading radio group. This position enables them to sign numerous advertising contracts, in particular in the mass retail sector which accounts for nearly 40% of the industry's advertising revenue.
Radio stations, especially music stations (NRJ, Skyrock, Fun radio) suffer from competition from social networks and streaming (Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music...). The drop in audience numbers is mainly among 13-24 year olds, whereas only 68% of 13-24 year olds listened to the radio at least once during the day in 2019, compared to more than 80% 10 years ago.
To cope with the rise of competing services, radio stations can count on a loyal older audience, a high cumulative audience (over 75%) and a substantial listening time. To renew themselves, radio stations are now relying on technological innovations such as web radio, the creation of common content and the explosion of podcast listening .
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
Buy a pack and get an immediate discount
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Inclus dans ce pack: This study (The radio market - France) + 4 other studies of your choice
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages