1.1 Definition and scope of the study
Metal packagings refer to steel and aluminium packagings, such as cans or tins.
The metal packaging market is divided into several players: mineral and petrochemical resources (bauxite, soda, carbon), suppliers (steel, aluminium), packaging producers, end users (industry, trade, transport-storage).
Metal packaging corresponds to about 15% of the packaging in the world in 2020 and is mainly used for the food sector (70%), followed by industrial products (12%), aerosols (9%) and corking (9%).
Worldwide, the activity is volatile as it is closely linked to the price of aluminium. In 2019, the turnover of the metal packaging market will therefore decrease, mainly due to the drop in aluminium prices. However, the gradual recovery of the world economy should lead to stabilisation and a return to growth from 2021 onwards.
The French market follows the same trend as the world market and is characterized by a high import rate: 44% of the packaging sold in France is imported (in value). While cans are facing competition from flexible packaging and the growing popularity of fresh products, the metal packaging market remains promising because metal has many advantages. It is impermeable to liquids, gases and light, which ensures food preservation and safety.
Moreover, against the backdrop of environmental awareness, metal packaging has the major advantage of being made of 100% recyclable materials, namely steel and aluminium. Finally, the trend today is towards innovation and differentiation, both in terms of design and aesthetics, as well as in terms of product practicality. For example, the search for alternative solutions for BPA-free varnishes is developing.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
Buy a pack and get an immediate discount
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Inclus dans ce pack: This study (The metal packaging market - France) + 4 other studies of your choice
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages