1.1 Definition and scope of the study
Coffee consumption originated in the 15th century in Yemen, spreading to the Arab-Ottoman cultural area and quickly to Europe. The second most traded commodity in the world after oil, coffee is also the most consumed beverage in the world after water. Global consumption was estimated at 170.3 million 60kg bags by the International Coffee Organization, a growth of 3.3% compared to 2022 and corresponding to more than 2 billion cups or cups consumed per day (BBC). Brazil, the United States, Japan, Western and Northern European countries and the United States are the largest consumers of coffee, while most of the world's production is in Brazil, Vietnam, Colombia and Indonesia, in the form of small farms of less than 5 hectares.
The coffee market has undergone a major transformation with the increase in consumption in the form of individual doses (capsules and shots) to the detriment of ground or bean coffee sold in supermarkets. This trend has paved the way for many innovations in response to an increasing demand for coffee in terms of origin, production methods and taste
According to the Brazilian Coffee Industry Association (ABIC),Brazil ranks second in the world market of consumers of the drink and the world's largest producer, corresponding to one third of world production. In addition, the country represents 13% of the world consumption of the product with 21.3 million bags per year. A result that is not surprising, since 95% of the population consumes this product.
With an estimated growth of 3.5% per year between 2019 and 2021, Brazil has a great reputation internationally, being the largest supplier of unroasted coffee to Germany, the United States and Italy, and the largest supplier of roasted coffee to the United States, Argentina and Japan. The fastest growing segment is currently the premium coffee market (15% per year), which corresponds to somewhere between 5% and 10% of total consumption in the sector (Euromonitor consultancy).
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (30 p.)
- Consult an example PDF or online
Availability within 10 business days
Our other products
5 reports pack (-15%) BR - Brazil
- 5 reports at €75.6 excluding VAT per study to choose from our Brazilian catalogue for 12 months
- Save 15% on additional studies purchased
- Choose to be refunded any unused credit at the end of the 12-month period (duration of the pack)
See the terms and conditions of the pack and the refund of unused credit.
Tailor-made report pack (br) - Brazil
This 1-year package includes :
- 10 credits per year to carry out your customized reports
- Annual access to 5 reports per month, which you can choose from among our 1,300 studies
A complete range of sector-specific reports, combining standard reports at the best price with studies tailored to your needs.
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages
The coffee market - France
Very detailed and quantified study which underlines the weak growth of the global consumption and the acceleration of the consumption of premium products. The increase in consumption due to the Covid crisis is well analyzed.
Hello Malcolm, We thank you for this very positive review and hope you will trust us again in the future.