1.1 Definition and scope of the study
The meat market takes into account:
- red meat (which includes meat from adult cattle, calves and sheep);
- white meat (which includes pork and poultry).
In line with increased awareness of a balanced and healthy diet, some types of meat (mainly red) continue to decline in volume sales. However, this same trend is a catalyst for growth in demand for premium products as consumers become increasingly willing to pay more for high quality food. In other words, overall sales are not strongly impacted.
Globally, Asia accounts for around 44.5% of all meat consumption. This is correlated to the population of Asia. Moreover, as disposable incomes are rising, individuals are looking to consume more meat.
In the United States, pork grew the largest in volume terms in 2019 (+3%). Overall, the American market grew by 2% in volume in 2019. This growth is expected to continue, as consumers look for protein sources. In light of this, poultry is the most popular sub-category of meats, accounting for around 50% of sales in the US in 2019. The market share will increase going forward.
Local production is increasingly favoured amid meat scandals, but also to support local ecosystems and limit the impact on the environment.
The three largest meat processors include Tyson Foods, JBS USA, and Cargill Meat Solutions.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Recent reviews ★★★★☆
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages