1.1 Definition and scope of the study
The climbing market can be divided into two segments:
- Indoor climbing
- Outdoor climbing
In this study we cover indoor climbing only. Often the two are intertwined in terms of interest from consumers, however there are structural differences. Indoor climbing requires heavy capital expenditure in infrastructure, investment into equipment and walls, and continuous maintenance. This form is accessible all year round. In contrast, outdoor climbing is more raw; in other words, intervention of man is much lower and nature dictates conditions and routes. Nevertheless, this form of climbing requires knowledge, more people, and a stricter adherence to saftey rules. On top of this, more equipment and gadgets are often needed.
The global market for indoor climbing, dominated by the United States, has been growing explosively in the last couple of years. In 2018, 4.4% of all Americans practiced indoor climbing. Moreover, the global market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 7% between 2019-2023, driven by a rise in popularity and interest for the sport. This is fuelled by events such as the Olympic Games 2021, where climbing is now a discipline for the first time since 1992.
In France, there were 1 million climbers in 2016. This figure is in continuous growth amid a rise in interest for the sport. One catalysator for growth in particular were the World Championships held in Paris in 2016, where many contestants were also French.
The market is fragmented with many players being present in the Hexagon. However, due to the fact that the business model of climbing gyms require large upfront investments and capital expenditures, the franchising model has increased in popularity. Well known players include Climb'Up, Block'Out, MurMur, etc.
Finally, COVID-19 will have a detrimental impact on the climbing market in 2020, with lockdowns put in force in France during March to May 2020, and new restrictions on movement implemented in October 2020. This results in foregone cash flows for industry players, and going forward we can expect larger market concentration amid more bankruptcies by cash-poor companies.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (30 p.)
- Consult an example PDF or online
Availability within 1 business day
Our other products
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages
The climbing gym market - France
Publicado en 06/06/2023 by Adrien Clair - Flatanger
Interesting study with many sources
thank you :)