1.1 Definition and presentation
The jewellery jewellery is the art of making jewels and ornaments (jewellery) using precious stones, gemstones, pearls, ornamental stones and metals such as gold, silver or platinum. The market can be segmented on the basis of range of the manufactured jewels but also according to the type : rings, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, watches, etc.
Worldwide sales of jewellery are estimated at over 100 billion 90% of which come from manufacturers with no recognized brand. French jewellery is recognised worldwide for its creativity, quality of manufacture and elegance, with the presence of many famous French jewellers on the world market (Van Cleef, Cartier, Alexandre Reza, etc.).
The jewellery market is a sector affected by a crisis. Apart from the cyclical phenomenon of the crisis, the other threat to this traditional sector is the relocation of production tools to Asia. Even if this trend is less relevant for high quality jewellery, manufacturers are worried about this trend. This is why they created the "Joaillerie de France" label in 2006, a real promotional tool for manufacturers, especially for exports. It is an indisputable way of promoting and authenticating French manufacturing know-how in jewellery, and of clarifying the origin of manufacture. This label has been a great success since its creation; there were already more than 10 jewellers with the label at the BaselWorld trade fair in 2012.
China's economic boom represents a significant potential for new customers for French jewellery. While the attacks have for a time caused sales to fall since 2015, the circumstances have also allowed for the growth of distance selling in jewellery. Major French companies in the market include Gay Frères, Mathon Paris, SFM and Dorsey, for example. Christian Bernard, also a leader in the sector, was acquired by the Marcel Robbez Masson group in 2017, reflecting a phenomenon of concentration of the sector that is underway.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (30 p.)
- Consult an example PDF or online
Availability within 1 business day
Our other products
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages
The jewellery market - France
Very comprehensive and well researched I appreciate the disclosure of sources when publishing data
Hi Richard, Thank you for your feedback and we are glad that this study gave you a good overview of the market.