1.1 Definition and scope of study
A petrol station is a fuel distribution station (diesel, petrol). It is located on the side of the road or motorway and often offers other services for vehicles (accessories, tyre inflation, breakdown assistance, repairs) and motorists (toilets, catering, shop).
There are two types of networks for service stations in France:
- Traditional networks: oil groups, independent distributors, independent off-network.
- The mass retail networks : hypermarkets, supermarkets, etc.
Worldwide, the market depends largely on oil prices and the choice of distributors to affect prices accordingly. In 2019, for example, distributors benefited greatly from the almost 30% increase in oil prices. Conversely, the coronavirus epidemic of 2020 shook the filling station market, as people were forced to stay put and oil prices fell by 20%.
According to UFIP, fuel distribution in service stations in France has decreased by 2.5% in 2018. However, while the volumes of diesel sold are decreasing, those of petrol are increasing.
There were 11068 service stations in France in 2018, that is to say 4 times less than in 1980, while the number of buildings has almost doubled. Three factors explain this evolution: regulations, environmental safety standards upgrades and the growth of large retailers in the market, which now represents half of the stations and accounted for 62% of fuel sales in volume in 2020.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
Buy a pack and get an immediate discount
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Inclus dans ce pack: This study (The gas station market - France) + 4 other studies of your choice
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages