1.1 Definition and presentation
A backpack is a bag that is carried on the back that holds the weight of its contents on the shoulders through padded and adjustable straps and sometimes even on the hips through a belt. The capacity of its volume is expressed in litres and ranges from half a dozen litres for racing bags to a hundred litres for trekking and mountain models. Different types of backpacks are included in our market analysis:
- School, sports and hiking backpacks;
- Backpacks for everyday and urban use;
- Leather backpacks.
In 2016, the global market share for 15-35 litre backpacks accounted for 46% of the market share, whilst the 36-60 litre product line accounted for 36%. Backpacks above 60 litres accounted for 18% of the market.
Women in the U.K. account for an increasing share of online sales; according to The Guardian, nearly 60% of online sales in the UK pertain to them. Moreover, the figure has been rising year-on-year since 2014. To differentiate in a fragmented market, backpacks of today must combine both design and performance. Duke Johnson at Nixon highlights that “We are also seeing the trend moving away from top loaders to more front loaders.” [boardsportsource] Companies can rely on a growing market due to the appeal of hiking to a millennial audience, as well as the rise of backpack as a fashion trend. [AudienceView, The guardian]
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages