the paint market
1.1 Definition and scope of study
The market for paints, varnishes and coatings can be divided into different segments depending on the type of product and the customer. A distinction can therefore be made between :
- The construction and architecture : construction paintings, public and decorative paintings in general ;
- The sector industrial : industrial paints, anticorrosive paints, marine paints, bodywork paints ;
- Varnishes and various coatings .
The market for paints, varnishes and coatings is closely linked to the economic health of these different sectors. For example, levels of activity in the coatings or decorative paint segments are closely linked to the real estate and construction sectors, while the economic performance of the automotive sector directly influences the demand for industrial paints.
The world paint market is growing rapidly, notably thanks to the dynamism of the Asian region . This growth is also explained by the increase in construction spending or the growth of the automotive sector. It is also necessary to include socio-economic factors, such as the continuing increase in urban population or, in general, the increase in life expectancy.
Paint manufacturers regularly innovate in the composition of their paints and propose new uses for the simple function of coating. For example, there are fire-resistant paints, chalk paints or insulating paints on the market. And due to growing environmental awareness, manufacturers in the market must develop new products that are more environmentally friendly or free of volatile organic compounds.
The paint market in Portugal represents less than 1% of the gross value added. The sector is mainly made up of SMEs (small and medium-sized enterprises) and micro-enterprises, although concentration has increased in recent years. The sector continues to have its most important market segment in construction, whether through the construction of new housing estates or urban renewal. In 2019 alone, production in the construction increased by 4%, with more than 2,000 operations underway, generating between 20,000 and 30,000 jobs in the country. In addition, a regulation for urban rehabilitation and revitalisation (IFRRU 2020) has already concluded more than 203 new urban revitalisation contracts, which include new paints for old spaces, for a total of more than 1,400 million euros of investments . These factors, together with the substantial growth of the Portuguese economy, will stimulate demand in the coming years.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
Analysts & Methods
Customer Reviews (1)
Average over the last 3 months