1.1 Definition and scope of study
The paint, varnish and coating market can be divided into different segments according to their different markets. Most notably, there are :
- The construction sector : construction paintings, public and decorative paintings in general
- The industrial sector: industrial paints, anticorrosive paints, marine and bodywork paints
- Varnishes and other coatings
The paint, varnish and coatings market is closely linked to the economic health of other sectors and markets. For example, the levels of activity in the construction or decorative painting segments are closely linked to the real estate and construction sectors, whereas the economic performance of the automotive sector directly impacts the demand for industrial paints.
The global paint market is growing, driven in particular by Asian demand. This growth can also be explained by the global increase in construction spending or the growth of the automotive sector. It is also necessary to include socioeconomic factors, such as the continuous increase in the world's urban population, consumer spending on housing or, in general, the increase in living standards. Paint manufacturers regularly innovate in the composition of their paints, and offer new uses for the simple function of coating. For example, there are fire-resistant paints, chalk paints or insulating paints on the market. And due to growing environmental awareness, market manufacturers must develop new products that are more environmentally friendly or free of volatile organic compounds.
The paint market in Brazil is sixth in terms of production volume. Around 1.535 billion liters of paints are manufactured per year, with an annual growth of more or less 2% since 2016. In regard to the sector's competitiveness, there are hundreds of large, medium and small manufacturers, with the ten largest corresponding to a total of 75% of sales. The main sub-segment of the market is the paints for the real estate sector, which represents around 83.3% of the total volume, followed by the paint for general industry (household appliances, furniture, auto parts, naval, aeronautics, maintenance, among others) with 10.3% of the volume. There is also a certain seasonality in demand, since the volume of paint sales usually increases at the end of the year due to small reforms for Christmas and New Year.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages