The DIY market covers a wide range of products and services related to manual work, repair and renovation, and is divided into various segments, including tools, building materials and garden tools. This list is not exhaustive, as many other product types fall into this category. The first home improvement stores emerged in the 1920s in the U.S., particularly with the development of the chainAce Hardware.
Globally, the growth rate (CAGR) of the home improvement market is 3.8% for the period 2021-2025, and the latest estimates show a market of nearly $700 billion, which is expected to grow to over $800 billion by 2027. The most developed segments are mainly tools and building materials, which account for a significant portion of consumer spending. In addition, European countries and the U.S. dominate the market in terms of consumption of home improvement products and services (in volume).
The German home improvement market is also growing, but appears more mature compared to the global market, with a CAGR of just over 2%. In addition, the typical customer profile in Germany varies, but they tend to be private individuals. Culturally, many Germans are interested in making changes to their homes themselves to improve them and reduce energy consumption. There is also a current trend towards "Do It Yourself" (DIY), as opposed to "Do It For Me" (DIFM), reflecting the changing expectations of German consumers who like to save money.
- OBIremains the market leader with more than 350 stores in Germany.
- Other companies such asBauhausandHornbachare well known in Germany and offer building materials and special products, for example for the garden sector.
E-commerce and 100% online services are gaining in popularity, offering customers greater flexibility and access to a broader range of products. Home improvement equipment rental is becoming increasingly popular. This business model is in vogue as it allows DIYers to save significant sums of money while meeting their expectations.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (30 p.)
- Consult an example PDF or online
Availability within 2 business days
Our other products
5 reports pack (-15%) DE - Germany
- 5 reports at €75.6 excluding VAT per study to choose from our German catalogue for 12 months
- Save 15% on additional studies purchased
- Choose to be refunded any unused credit at the end of the 12-month period (duration of the pack)
See the terms and conditions of the pack and the refund of unused credit.
Tailor-made report pack (de) - Germany
This 1-year package includes :
- 10 credits per year to carry out your customized reports
- Annual access to 5 reports per month, which you can choose from among our 1,300 studies
A complete range of sector-specific reports, combining standard reports at the best price with studies tailored to your needs.
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages
The stationary toilet market - France
Publicado en 12/01/2022 by Client anonyme - Ce client a souhaité rester anonyme
A highly quantified study. Despite the investments made by local authorities, the mistrust of public toilets is confirmed. The smart toilet market has not yet taken off.
Hello Geoffroy, Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted that this study has given you a good overview of the market.
The public lighting market - France
Publicado en 27/10/2021 by Stéphane Naville - AXIONE SAS
Good level of synthesis allowing to go to the essential of a market (supply, demand, actors) quickly!
Hello Stephane, Thank you for your feedback, we are very happy if our study could save you a precious time. :)
The veneers and wood panels market - France
Publicado en 08/09/2020 by Client Anonyme - Ce client a souhaité rester anonyme
A synthetic and easy to read study, usable for us.
Hello, Thank you for your feedback.