The silk is a fiber natural protein of animal origin used for the manufacture of textile articles that would have been discovered more than 2000 years before the current era. Silk comes from arthropods, spiders and caterpillars of some butterflies can produce silk. The silk refers to the manufacture of silk and the place where silk is marketed. The production of silk is to be thought of in several stages: from the breeding of silkworms, to the preparation of cocoons, spinning, milling and weaving
However, silk only represents 0.2% of the world market for textile fibres while it competes strongly with cotton, wool or linen in the natural fibre category but also with acrylic, polyester and polyamide in the chemical fibre category. Traditionally, silk processing in France is carried out in rhône-Alpes-Auvergne region with a particular focus on the surroundings of the Lyon region. However, many localized producers are present in Paris, Roubaix, Lille or even in the South-West of France.
The main outlets for silk products are ribbons, fabrics, trimmings, laces, draperies, waistcoats, waistcoats and stuffing fabrics. The number of silk breeders and producers has, however, fallen sharply in France since the beginning of the 20th century, with a division by more than two over the period. Silk is therefore a market that is currently in difficulty in France as it is supported by other more dynamic geographical regions that will have to compete in the coming years.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 2 business days
Buy a pack and get an immediate discount
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Inclus dans ce pack: This study (The silk market - France) + 4 other studies of your choice
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages