1.1 Scope of the study
The funeral market includes all services that can be used at the time of death of a person. These are:
- direct services of the funeral director: these services include the provision of the coffin or urn (depending on the choice of cremation or burial), the transfer of the body and the hygienic care of the deceased. Funeral homes can also handle administrative procedures such as applying for a death certificate or deregistration with health insurance companies, etc. can be taken over.
- outside services such as the florist or placement of the obituary. Cemetery fees are also included in funeral expenses.
Due to the increase in deaths as a result of the coronavirus pandemic and price increases by industry participants due to cost, industry revenue grew by 6.1% globally in 2020.
As baby boom generations continue to age, the average mortality rate in developed countries is rising. Germany is no exception, with the average mortality rate rising from 10.6 to 11.9 per 1,000 population between 2011 and 2020[World Bank], contributing to the development of the funeral market. Demographic change is a positive effect for the funeral market.
The German market shows large differences depending on the provider, type of funeral, choice of ceremony or region. The industry is highly fragmented, with a large number of companies offering funeral services. These range from small, local businesses to larger companies that operate nationwide. The largest companies in Germany are mostly organized as franchises, which gives them a competitive advantage.
According to the nomenclature from the Federal Statistical Office in Germany, the sector 'Funeral services' is identified by the sector code'S9603'.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (30 p.)
- Consult an example PDF or online
Availability within 2 business days
Our other products
5 reports pack (-15%) DE - Germany
- 5 reports at €75.6 excluding VAT per study to choose from our German catalogue for 12 months
- Save 15% on additional studies purchased
- Choose to be refunded any unused credit at the end of the 12-month period (duration of the pack)
See the terms and conditions of the pack and the refund of unused credit.
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages
The funeral market - France
Very complete study addressing all the problems and developments in the sector
Hello Patrick, Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted that this study has given you a good overview of the market.