1.1 Definition and presentation
Futsal is a sport derived from football that is traditionally played on a small indoor field and involves two teams of five players. Although there may be a difference between futsal discipline and futsal activity, futsal, under this name, refers to indoor football complexes - for a fee.
Futsal was created in Uruguay after the 1930s World Cup and is a recent phenomenon in Europe. The futsal was originally called foot-bola-sala or futebol de salão literally salon football and comes from the contraction between the Spanish or Portuguese word for "football" and the French or Spanish term for "interior". Its introduction in the European continent was late, in Italy the futsal is believed to have arrived around the 80s.
Five player football in Italy experienced exponential growth between 2008 and 2016, almost doubling the number of members. An evolution that seems to continue positively at the expense of traditional football, but the futsal will continue to face organizational changes (e.g. facility structures of clubs), difficulties of visibility and some skepticism about the very essence of the sport.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages