1.1 Definition and scope of study
Futsal is a sport derived from football that is traditionally played on a small indoor pitch and involves two teams of five players. Although there may be a difference between the discipline of futsal and the activity of futsal, the name refers to indoor football complexes.
Futsal was created in Uruguay after the 1930 World Cup and is a recent phenomenon in Europe. Futsal was originally called football or literally indoor soccer and comes from the contraction between the Spanish or Portuguese word for "soccer" and the French or Spanish word for "indoor".
Futsal was developed in Brazil by the Young Men's Christian Association (ACM) in São Paulo. Due to the lack of available football pitches, athletes used basketball courts to practice the sport.
Today there are two major national competitions, the Futsal League and the Brazilian Futsal Cup, the latter being the oldest futsal competition in Brazil, with its first edition in 1968. In addition, each state federation organises its own state championship. Despite the sport's declining popularity since recent retirement of one of the greatest players of all time, futsal is still very much rooted in the country, with players of international renown and the world's top national team, demonstrating that the sport is still very profitable. [ VEJA ]
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages