1.1 Presentation and definition of the sports betting market
L he sports bet corresponds to a bet on a sports result given the odds (coefficient to calculate the potential winnings). If the bet is correct, the bettor receives the expected winnings, otherwise he loses his stake. In France, sports betting is reserved for adults. Sports betting has existed in France since the end of the 19th century with the development of horse racing and the Pari Mutuel Urbain (PMU). Over the years, betting has diversified and it is now possible to bet on virtually every type of sport and sporting event in the world. In the early 2000s, online sports betting sites with virtual betting rooms developed
He there are two ways to place a sports bet :
- in hardwood, in the physical network of the Française des Jeux (FDJ)
- online, on the websites of sports betting operators approved by the Arjel (French online gaming regulatory authority)
In France, the sports betting market in France In terms of turnover and stakes, the company is a leader in the field of gambling, has been growing steadily since 2011, it is one of the most dynamic segments of online gambling. Sports betting attracts a large majority of male and relatively young customers (under 35 years old), looking for the best odds (for maximum winnings). Also, sports betting is becoming more digital and is increasingly carried out via applications on mobile devices (smartphone, tablet). Most of them concern football, followed by tennis and basketball. Sports betting attracts a large majority of male and relatively young customers (under 35 years old), looking for the best odds (for maximum winnings). Also, sports betting is becoming more and more digital and is increasingly carried out via applications on mobile devices (smartphones, tablets)
The growing popularity of sports betting is certain, and the various operators are engaged in a fierce battle to win new market shares in a relatively concentrated market. Marketing efforts are focused on communication campaigns (partnerships with football clubs or television channels, with personalities from the world of sports, etc.) and promotions (notably bonus offers and "boosted" odds). It also involves taking advantage of major sporting events such as the World Cup or Euro football, key moments to recruit new bettors L' The Euro 2016 football tournament also saw the major operators raise over €100 million in bets .
The COVID-19 crisis has had a significant impact on the sports betting market. Indeed, with the cancellation or postponement of several major sporting events (Euro 2020, Summer Olympics, etc.), the growth of the market has been slowed down, despite the multiplication of distribution channels
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (30 p.)
- Consult an example PDF or online
- Recent reviews ★★★★☆
Availability within 1 business day
Buy a pack and get an immediate discount
Pack 5 études (-15%) - France
- 5 études au prix de 75,6€HT par étude à choisir parmi nos 800 titres sur le catalogue France pendant 12 mois
- Conservez -15% sur les études supplémentaires achetées
- Choisissez le remboursement des crédits non consommés au terme des 12 mois (durée du pack)
Inclus dans ce pack: This study (The sports betting market - France) + 4 other studies of your choice
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages
chargé d'études économiques, Xerfi
PhD Industrial transformations
Ross Alumni Club France
Analyste de marché chez Businesscoot
Amaury de Balincourt
Project Finance Analyst, Consulting
Etudiante en Double-Diplôme Ingénieur-Manager Centrale
Market Research Analyst
Market Research Analyst @Businesscoot
Market Research Analyst @Businesscoot