1.1 Definition and presentation
Food supplements include any type of product whose aim is to integrate one’s diet by providing necessary and additional nutrients. Under the European Directive - 2002/46/EC – the supplements are defined as “foodstuff which comes under the form of capsules, pastilles, tablets, pills and similar”.
Among the most popular categories:
- Vitamins, such as D and E
- Minerals, such as calcium and iron
- Specialty products, such as probiotics and glucosamine
Dietary supplements present indeed attributes that can relate the product to nutritional and physiological benefits. They do not identify with pharmaceuticals, because their positive impact on the body and mind does not act as therapeutic. [Camera di Commercio]
Dietary supplements have showed an outstanding growth worldwide, leveraging especially on progressive consumers’ attention to health and a global rising senior population.
Western Europe is among the top performers in the industry, with Italy standing in a leading position, counting a double-digit value growth from 2009 to 2019, attributable especially to changes in demographics, consumers’ health awareness and availability of nutritional information.
To keep reading, buy the full research
What is in this market study?
- What are the figures on the size and growth of the market?
- What is driving the growth of the market and its evolution?
- What are the latest trends in this market?
- What is the positioning of companies in the value chain?
- How do companies in the market differ from each other?
- Access company mapping and profiles.
- Data from several dozen databases
This market study is available online and in pdf format (38 p.)
- Download an example
- Consult our offers Consulting, Subscription, Press & Education.
Availability within 5 business days
1 sector analyzed
in 40 pages